It’s easy to refer your patients to AMERICAN VETERANS HOSPICE. Our dedicated care team will keep you informed the whole time.
Anyone with a life-threatening illness and a life expectancy of six (6) months or less, following the normal cause of the disease. A patient may opt for comfort care or hospice nursing instead of a curative or aggressive treatment.
Hospice Eligibility Requirements:
A patient diagnosed with a life-limiting condition, with a life expectancy of six months or less if their disease runs its normal course.
A patient with a declining functional status as determined by either:
- Palliative Performance Scale (PPS) rating of 50%-60% Dependent in at least 3 of 6 Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
- Alteration in nutritional status (e.g. 10% loss of body weight over last 4-6 months)
- Observable and documented decline in the clinical condition in the last 4-6 months as manifested by at least one of the following:
- ≥ 3 hospitalizations or emergency department visits
- Decrease in tolerance to physical activity
- Decrease in cognitive ability
- Other comorbid conditions
Disease-Specific Hospice Eligibility Criteria
There are specific criteria to consider based on the patient’s primary diagnosis. The diseases below are generally applicable requirements for hospice care, amongst other eligibility requirements.
- Cerebral Vascular Accident (CVA) / Stroke
- Congestive Heart Failure
- COPD / Cardiopulmonary Disease
- Liver Disease
- Neurological Conditions (non-Alzheimer’s dementia)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Hungtington’s Disease
- Renal Disease